Education is among the most important things in society today because through it young people grow to become responsible adults in the future. However, education brings together people from different backgrounds, ethnicity, levels of life and races. Therefore, education providers need to create a platform that supports different people’s culture thus fostering the impact of education on students. In modern society, culture plays a major role in education delivery and the manner in which students interact with teachers to excel in their studies.
Some social issues greatly affecting modern society include lack of education, inequality, climate change, discrimination and racism, poverty, the spread of diseases and corruption in governments among others. As a result, it is important to explore the impact that culture has on education especially in regards to social issues facing modern society.
Education has been globalized to accommodate different people through the internet whereby one can study without physically being at the institution especially in high education levels. On another note, education mostly happens through face-to-face interactions particularly in classrooms whereby students can attend classes and interact with teachers (Banks, 2015). However, teachers face a problem of understanding all student’s needs especially those that pertain culture in the process of education. Teachers are forced to create a neutral platform that does not discriminate any student based on cultural considerations. According to Evans (2000), taboo topics taught to people from different cultures stand out as one of the leading problems that restrict education from covering social issues within our societies.
In order to explore this topic extensively, some questions that cover a wide range of issues within this topic needs asking. According to Aaseb (2017), some of the questions crafted to explore the topic include
- How does culture affect educating different classes of people about social issues?
- What can be done to eliminate culture as a barrier while addressing social issues?
- What is the role of teachers and parents in this issue especially in modern society?
- How can education promote different cultures while providing information on social issues the society faces?
- Does culture affect people’s ability to learn?
To come up with evidence to answer these questions, one has to identify already conducted research on the topic to identify the existing problem. Through this, the evidence will provide a deeper insight on whether this issue is a recurring problem and how it may affect future societies (Aasebø, 2017). In addition, empirical evidence from studies conducted by researchers is imperative to this topic because, through that, different people’s ideologies on the topic can be traced to arrive at a final decision (Evans, 2000). Moreover, a few social issues affecting society can be identified to gather arising issues regarding the topic.
In conclusion, research on social issues shapes the kind of results one can find in consideration of this topic. In modern society, social issues have affected how people think of other people thus the reason why culture is cited as a barrier to the education of social issues in modern society. Freedom to teach social issues and other relevant issues in modern society is a way to educate society about the major aspects derailing it from having a productive future. Lastly, the value that education adds to society needs to be assessed thus pointing out whether culture affects education in any way.
- Evans, R. W., Avery, P. G., & Pederson, P. V. (2000). Taboo topics: Cultural restraint on teaching social issues. The Clearing House, 73(5), 295-302.
- Aaseb, T. S., Midtsundstad, J. H., & Willbergh, I. (2017). Teaching in the age of accountability: restrained by school culture?. Journal of Curriculum Studies, 49(3), 273-290.
- Banks, J. A. (2015). Cultural diversity and education: Foundations, curriculum, and teaching. Routledge.