An abortion is the deliberate termination of a human pregnancy, usually during the first 28 weeks of the pregnancy.
Women usually have abortions because they aren’t ready to take on the responsibility of being a parent, as well as various other reasons.
Having an abortion not only hurt those who get them, but family, and friends.
There are many reasons why abortions are wrong but the most important are that the bible does not condone abortions, abortions could possibly harm the future of wanted pregnancies and the health of women who have them, they can be an emotional burden to many.
My first point covers how the bible looks at abortion.
The Bible does not condone abortion.
Although the bible does not mention abortion it is looked at as an act of murder.
The sixth commandments states that “though shall not kill”.
Exodus 21:22–25 states “When men strive together and hit a pregnant woman, so that her children come out, but there is no harm, the one who hit her shall surely be fined, as the woman’s husband shall impose on him, and she shall pay as the judges determine. 23 But if there is harm, 4 then you shall pay life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, wound for wound, and stripe for stripe.
The Bible looks at children as blessings and gifts that can prosper in the world.
Psalm 127:3 reads “Behold, children are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward.
Colossians 3:21 Fathers, do not provoke your children, lest they become discouraged.
Now that you all know how the bible looks at abortion, I will now move onto the physical effects of having an abortion and how it hurts a woman’s health.
Having an abortion can leave many physical effects on the body.
An abortion could harm the future of a women’s “wanted “pregnancy.
According to the 2012 volume of the Public Library of Science, an abortion could cause the child of a wanted pregnancy to be born prematurely, or with complications.
Dr. Carol J. Hogue states in the Global Library of Women’s medicine article that an average of one in three wanted pregnancies end in miscarriages.
Dr. Hogue also states that more rare and serious complications are ectopic pregnancies and stillbirth.
A women also faces several health problems after having an abortion.
According to OBGYN Dr. Elizabeth Shadigian, a women who has had an abortion has the risk of placenta previa which is a complication during pregnancy where the placenta partially or totally cover’s the mother cervix which causes severe bleeding before or during the delivery.
Breast cancer could be a result of the loss of protective effect during the first full term pregnancy.
Jennifer O’Neill an American author, actress, and model stated in her speech at the Silent No More Awareness Campaign that after she was forced by her fiancé to have an abortion, she had had nine miscarriages before successfully having a child.
Having an abortion can have hurt women in many physical ways but also can leave them emotionally, which brings me into my third and final point on the emotional burden a woman has after an abortion.
A woman can face Post Abortion Stress Syndrome, after having an abortion.
Depression is one of the most common feelings a woman has after having an abortion (Kimport, 2011).
Depression ranges from guilt, to uncontrollable crying which could be daily, or could go on for several years
Jennifer O’Neill also stated in her speech that she was so depressed by her abortion that she was unable to go out in public for months.
An abortion could also leave one to have suicidal thoughts.
An abortion could make the woman feel like everyone looks at her as if she is a murderer. The fact that she cannot ever forget what she has done could eat her up inside with guilt.
An article from life news states that Researchers in Finland interviewed over 600,000 women in a study and recorded that women who became pregnant and had abortions were six times likely to have suicidal thoughts or even commit suicide than those who carry there pregnancy to full term (Terzo, 2013)
There are other options rather than having an abortion, such as placing the child up for adoption, or placing them in a foster home.
I hope that if in any event that you may have an unplanned pregnancy that you take the time out and weight your options, before making a decision that could change your life for better or worse.
I also hope that if you know anyone that has recently had an unplanned pregnancy and wants to have an abortion that you are able to pass on this message of how serious an abortion is.
- Shadigian, Elizabeth. (2005) “Reviewing the Medical Evidence: Short and Long-Term Physical Consequences of Induced Abortion” Retrieved from http://www.researchgate.net/publication/242412717_Section_III.__The_review_and_exposition_of_the_body_of_medical_psychological_and_sociological_knowledge_that_has_accumulated_since_1973_concerning_the_physical_and_mental_health_of_women_who_have_undergone_abortions_and_their_subsequent_life_health_and_socioeconomic_experiences._Reviewing_the_Medical_Evidence_Short_and_Long-Term_Physical_Consequences_of_Induced_Abortion
- Shucheng, Zhang Wang, Lilli Wang, Nang Bin Wang, He Jiedong Wang Wolo Schak, Gayle Eli (2012) PLOS One Vol. 7 Issue 10, Special P. 1-10 Retrieved From http://www.plosone.org/
- Kimport, Katrina (2011) Social Sources of Women’s Emotional Difficulty after Abortion: Lessons from Women’s Abortion Narratives Katrina Kimport, Kira Foster and Tracy A. Weitz, Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1363/4310311/abstract
- Summers Cynthia (2011) Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health, Vol. 43, No. 2 pp. 103-109 Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/23048868
- O’Neill, Jennifer (2008) Silent No More Awareness Video Retrieved from,
- The Holy Bible: Exodus 21:22–25, Psalm 127:3, Colossians 3:21.
- Powell, Andy (2009) Actress, writer O’Neill says abortion hurts in many ways Retrieved from, http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/20090507/NEWS/905079992
- Hogue Carol. (2008) Long-Term Risks of Surgical Abortion, Retrieved from http://www.glowm.com/section_view/heading/Long-Term%20Risks%20of%20Surgical%20Abortion/item/440
- Terzo, Sarah (2013) Studies Show Higher Risk of Suicide for Women Following an Abortion, Retrieved from http://www.lifenews.com/2013/07/31/studies-show-higher-risk-of-suicide-for-women-following-an-abortion/